The George Steinbach Log Cabin
The log cabin built by George Steinbach for his family in 1876 was presented to the historical society by his grandson and his wife Ernest and Marian Becke in 1967 and moved nearly three miles from its original site near the Willamette River to the museum complex.
The Steinbach family log cabin, one of three log buildings surviving from the Aurora Colony, is constructed of peeled and hand-hewn cedar timbers and chinked with mud, straw and manure. George and his wife Catherine Miley Steinbach lived in the cabin with their five young children from 1876 to 1883 when, after the colony disbanded, they built a new frame home that also still survives. Many of the articles found in this home are authentic to the Steinbach and Miley families.